Sunday, July 13, 2014

An Interview with Poet Ellyn Maybe

(Originally published on Yahoo! Voices on May 24, 2012)

Ellyn Maybe is a formidable figure in contemporary American poetry today. Her work in fusing the so-called separate arts of music and poetry into one art form has been groundbreaking. Her most recent work, a CD of her poems set to music called "Rodeo For The Sheepish", continues to garner praise and notoriety wherever it is heard or performed. This interview was conducted via email on May 11 and 12, 2012:

S.R.: What was it that drew you to poetry in the beginning?

E.M.: When I was living in Manhattan, I was walking by a bookstore and a poem came to me inspired by something that I saw through the window. Something tends to spark a poem and then the poem comes quickly.

S.R.: What is it that you hope to achieve with your work?

E.M.: Resonance.

S.R.: What is it that most inspires you in your daily life?

E.M.: The arts. Watching a YouTube clip of Leonard Bernstein talking about Beethoven or seeing Ray Charles doing Ring of Fire or hearing Lou Reed singing Perfect Day are inspiring, stimulating things for me which I thrive on. Plus, I work at a literary center so I see a lot of poetry readings and other various events, including film screenings, talks, etc. I also attend events around Los Angeles. I've been doing that for many years.

S.R.: What would you say is the most exciting or fulfilling thing your work in poetry has given you opportunity to do, and why?

E.M.: My poetry has been nourished and appreciated which has led to some really amazing things. It's an ongoing process.

S.R.: Is there a specific opportunity or event that stands out to you? Why was it particularly special for you?

E.M.: When Greil Marcus, the amazing music writer, got in touch to write about Rodeo for the Sheepish, it was a very touching experience. He had heard half of City Streets on KALX in Berkeley. When your work impacts people whose work you admire, that is incredible. Many years ago, I gave my chapbook to Howard Zinn and Michael Parenti and they both wrote back lovely things immediately. That was amazing.

S.R.: Why are you so drawn to music, and what further projects do you have in mind to bring your passions for poetry and music together?

E.M.: I've always found music a kindred language. I'm planning to do another album with my band and continue writing and performing with them.

S.R.: What were your objectives for "Rodeo For The Sheepish" in particular? What do you think could have been done better? Do you feel that it has lived up to those objectives?

E.M.: I didn't have particular objectives for Rodeo for the Sheepish. It happened somewhat spontaneously and we were very happy how it turned out. The fact that The Ellyn Maybe Band now exists is awesome. We're writing songs together and have performed in Ireland and at the Glastonbury Festival in the UK as well as Shakespeare and Company in Paris.

S.R.: What are your other hobbies/passions? How would you like to bring them all together some day?

E.M.: Film, theater, art. I would like to collaborate in these various art forms. Expand my horizons. Some of this is already taking place. I wrote a book of poems inspired by my cousins' nature photographs. I would love for Rodeo for the Sheepish to turn into a musical someday, but don't really know when that will happen. Five videos have been made for the songs on Rodeo and there are ten tracks so, hopefully, they will all have a video someday.

S.R.: In a lot of ways poetry is as much about humor, play, and having fun as it is about serious issues and art. Which of these would you most like readers/listeners to take from your art? Or do you prefer a balance between them and why?

E.M.: I hope the mixture is something that people find compelling. Humor and sadness dwell in there and hopefully add to the emotional landscape.

S.R.: What do you think is most important for a poet in this digital age? Do you think it helps or hinders the art?

E.M.: I think connecting with others is very important and also finding community. It's crucial and I have found it to be helpful. Being computer savvy helps with social media, that sort of thing, but you don't have to be too technical to do it.

S.R.: What would you like to see change for poets?

E.M.: It would be truly awesome if the financial situation would get a bit brighter!

Ellyn Maybe's FaceBook

Learn more about Beyond Boroque

Buy "Rodeo For The Sheepish" on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment